Followers

Omoplata always a sweep, never a submission?

Posted by --- Saturday, July 03, 2010

Class 80 - 100 of 200 BJJ classes
Weight 170 lbs.
Instructor(s):Cassio Werneck and  Brent Goodall

Class(es) Overview: 
We worked Omoplatas this week with a bunch of positional drilling and transitions(triangle, straight armlock, taking the back).  Cassio always says that the Omoplata is a submission "FIRST" and a sweep "SECOND".  However I will admit I have been treating it as the later for sometime.  Often when I begin to apply the Omoplata my intent is to transition into a another technique instead of focusing on the Omoplata itself.


The thing I have always appreciated about the Omoplata is that it works against just about anyone regardless the size if a few basic principals are maintained.

This a video by Leo Kirby that goes over some of the principals of getting, maintaining and finishing the Omoplata:


Tip(s) of the week:
  1. Maintain tight control of the elbow.
  2. Maintain tight control of the elbow.
  3. Maintain tight control of the elbow.
  4. Maintain tight control of the elbow.


I over-emphasize maintaining control of the elbow because as long as you do so you have the Omoplata.  So do not forget to: MAINTAIN TIGHT CONTROL OF THE ELBOW!


Here is a cool technique of the week a "Flying Omoplata" by Rafael Mendes:


    Rolling Overview:
    Enjoy each class and each roll.  Keep in mind that without your training partners you would have no jiu-jitsu. 


    Judo Overview: We have been working  Tai - Otoshi for the past few weeks. I have always had a some serious issues with this throw so more uchikomis are in my future.

    0 comments

    About Me

    My photo
    My name is Travis and I’ve been training BJJ since May, 2005. I am currently a brown belt under BJJ World Champion Cassio Werneck.

    My Favorites